Wednesday, May 18, 2011

FINAL STORY: JOUR311 - A Hypnotists’ Allure

By Namrata Pingle

Above: Photograph credit; Bianca Lemus. This image showcases a group of ten male volunteers who were asked to dance ‘sexy’ by taking their shirts off. In the image they are swinging their shirts around dancing to music as commanded by hypnotist, Dr Dave Hill. 

         There’s only one show where you can see the class jock bark like a dog, dance like a monkey and sing with a Glee ensemble. On Thursday, April 28 residents at the California State University, Long Beach Housing were treated to a two-hour show filled with hysterical laughs and moments of pure bewilderment as acclaimed hypnotist, Dr. Dave Hill came to work his charm on a group of antsy students. 
            Dr Dave Hill, DCH who has performed at over 5, 000 shows throughout the U.S. and Canada is a qualified hypnotist, holding the acclaimed certificate title of “Master Hypnotist” from the National Guild of Hypnotists. Although in terms of popular culture his most prize-winning title would have to be his claim to fame; guest appearing on the nationally syndicated show “Mythbusters”.
            As with all entertainment, despite his strong credentials there is always overarching skepticism. Even event facilitator and organizer, Nicholas Cvjekovic had his initial doubts prior the show,  “In all honesty, last year when I saw the show I didn’t think that people were hypnotized, I thought they were acting and signed some contract thing saying they could not discuss what happened.” The two-hour entertainment extravaganza was a proving point for Hill as he sought to dismiss the routine doubt.
            The show commenced with Hill summoning volunteers and like “flies to bright lights” a large group of friendly faces approached the stage. Andrew McGarity, volunteer and star of the show said he decided to volunteer to test if it would really affect him. “I decided to volunteer because I wanted to see if these things really worked,” he said. “I’ve always been such a huge doubter but seeing Hill on television made me want to come try him out, you know, see if it all really works.”
            After he selected his top-thirty he made them fall asleep on his command, and just like that to the crowd’s astonishment he sent them into a deep comma-like state. Surprisingly he was even effective on some audience members.
             Heather Mazzezi, was one of the three unlikely victims of the crowd hypnotism. “I have a great imagination and am a believer in the power of control, so many success stories so I knew I was particularly susceptible to it,” she said. “I have been hypnotized at the same show twice before and I really didn’t want to this time cause I wanted to watch the show, I was tired, I wanted to laugh, watch friends so when I was down, I was like ‘hell no’ I don’t want to be hypnotized again, it was a surreal feeling.”
The show thereafter was followed by a series of smaller acts involving certain stage participants. The undoubted star of the show, Andrew McGarity was asked to dance to a Chipndales dance and surprisingly he took off his shirt and started “grinding” on a fellow participant. “I did not think I would get hypnotized, I thought it was fake at first as I heard everything and understood everything going on but nothing affected me,” said McGarity. I didn't think anything was funny and everything just blurred into one sound but my favorite part was the ‘journey’ song and dance.”
The show ended on a big bang when show volunteers were “demanded” to partake in a Glee musical which saw unlikely talent seep through on the main stage. It appeared that Hill had changed the minds of an eagerly awaiting audience and even the most greatest of skeptics were convinced. Nicholas Cvjetkovic certainly changed his skeptical mindset, “This year I came in with more of an open mind and after the show he successfully hypnotized a few others including myself,” he said. “After my first try he did it again and was able to put me in a very relaxed sleep state for a few seconds and was told what I experienced was being hypnotized, just because I didn’t act all funny doesn’t mean it didn’t work on me. I now believe.”
The show definitely received widespread attention and Hill appeared to change the mindsets of an initially uneasy audience. The participants themselves enjoyed the show and it appears Hill will be back for more next year. That is of course, if CSULB students can handle it.

Journalism
JOUR 311@2

May. 19, 2011
FINAL STORY: A HYPNOTISTS’ ALLURE
 (Word Count: 731)




No comments:

Post a Comment